First United Methodist Church of Rockwall celebrates, proclaims and offers Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior! Founded in 1856, we have been sharing Christ in word and deed for over 150 years in Rockwall County and beyond!
Our vision to grow and make disciples of Jesus Christ affirms what we know through scripture, tradition, reason and experience. We are called to provide the “good soil” where children, youth and adults may grow closer to Christ and closer to one another. We center and pattern our mission and ministry on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. Through individual commitment, covenant relationships, community fellowship and celebratory worship, we gather together to get to know Christ and to make Him known.
We value discipleship – that is, learning to follow Jesus everyday, not just on Sundays. We value covenant relationships – that is, growing closer to Christ and one another through small groups, Bible studies and support groups. We value community – in an often disconnected world we enjoy fellowship and companionship with people of all ages, nations and races. We value celebratory worship! Worship that is authentic connects our deepest needs, hurts and hopes to the only One who is worthy of our praise!
Our vision is to reach all who are seeking meaning and purpose for their lives, to help connect them to Christ, to nurture deep roots of spiritual discipline (prayer, scripture, worship, service), to grow them to reach and stretch Godward like a tree, and finally to produce fruit for which a tree exists.
The following First UMC Rockwall goals were set by our church in a series of activities and meetings under the Vision 2020 initiative:
- Small groups are the heart of our congregation and vital to the spiritual growth of our members. We will continue to provide more opportunities for quality Sunday school classes, Bible studies, and other small group experiences.
- Children and youth ministries are a significant strength and focus of our church and vital to our future. We will continue to support and build these activities and ministries with our service, prayers, and financial support.
- Our 150 year church history provides a rich legacy of Christian discipleship, fellowship, and love of God, which we will honor and strengthen through our participation in worship, prayer, service, attendance, and financial support.
- Our congregation rises to meet challenges through individual and collective spiritual gifts. We will identify and utilize these spiritual gifts to implement and strengthen ministries discerned by our congregation as God’s vision for our church.
- As First UMC Rockwall continues to grow we will encourage church family unity by increasing the number of whole congregation events. In addition, we will increase events to bring various small groups together for fellowship.
- FIRST UMC, Rockwall will continually initiate and strengthen our mission response within the church, community and world through fellowship, service, proclamation and stewardship emphasizing our mission to the elderly, hurting, forsaken and multicultural groups.
- Our strong congregational message of grace, faith, hope, and love will be expanded within all aspects of our worship service (e.g.: ushers, greeters, welcome desk, acolytes, communion, music, sound, media, additional services, etc.) to move people to awe and praise of God through prayer, song, and testimony.
- The purpose of our church is to grow and make disciples in Jesus Christ. Therefore, we will attract, welcome, strengthen, involve, and integrate newcomers from all cultures and ages into our church community.
- Because we are a growing church in a growing community, our congregation’s financial support of ministries, resources, facilities and staff will be a factor in making and growing Christ-centered disciples. Using biblical principles of tithing, we will spiritually challenge our congregation to become generous givers.