History of Our Church
The First United Methodist Church was first organized in 1856 when Rockwall was still a village. This early group of members worshipped in the Old Masonic Building and Butler School, located at what is now the intersection of Clark and Rusk Streets. This small 16×20 foot structure was made of native timber from the East Fork Trinity River bottom, and had a belfry and a high steeple with a melodic church bell that rang frequently to call people to worship.
Eighteen years after its establishment, the Methodist Church erected its first building on the northeast corner of Rusk and Fannin Streets. The property was conveyed by F. Sullivan and wife, Martha, to the trustees or to their successors for a consideration of $100. This consideration was given “for the love that we bear for the cause of Christ, and from an earnest desire to promote His heritage on earth.”
In the spring of 1910, Rev. Wheeler started a subscription, known today as pledges, for a new church building. An amount of $8,000 was reached but “failed to push the enterprise through.”
In December of 1912, a building committee was elected to carry forward plans for building the new church. Faithful members gave the beautiful stained glass windows throughout the sanctuary as memorials. Some of these windows are now preserved in the Narthex of our current building. The building, when completed, was valued at $19,000. The church building still stands today on the Rockwall square.
Construction for the next site and attendant Sunday School rooms began in October 1979 at 1408 Goliad Rd, the site given by Raymond and Elizabeth Cameron. The first service in this sanctuary was Sunday, March 22, 1981. Later in 1988, ground was broken for the addition of the Fellowship Hall and Music/Education wing.
Groundbreaking for our current site on Yellow Jacket Lane took place in April 2002. The first service in this sanctuary was June 1, 2003.
This property was acquired from Raymond and Elizabeth Cameron. On June 25, 2006 groundbreaking took place for the Elizabeth Cameron Christian Education Building on that same property; it was completed in 2007.
Our current traditional Sanctuary seats 1,100. Our first worship service there was held on January 3, 2016. Our current Open Door Worship Center opened on March 27, 2016 and seats 400.
Praise be to God!