Advent 2020 | First United Methodist Church of Rockwall
Sent: Delivering The Gift of Hope At Christmas
Session 4 — Sent: To Bring New Life
Ezekiel 37:1,3 NIV
The hand of the Lord was on me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the Lord and set me in the middle of the valley; it was full of bones…He asked me, Son of man, can these bones live? I said, “Sovereign Lord, you alone know.”
- Describe the scene you imagine as you read the Ezekiel text.
- What do you think has happened in this valley? Who were these people? What did they do to deserve such a death?
- In the text, how does the vision of dry bones become a vision of new possibilities? What roles does the prophet have in this transformation?
- Jesus came to make us new. In what ways do you need God to breathe new life into you, your circumstances, or your interactions with others?
- How can you make space in your life this season so that God has room to work?
- Sometimes failure, pain, despair, or grief can precede new life? Have you experienced this?
- In reflecting on the vision of dry bones, share your sense of the larger church. How healthy and vibrant is the United Methodist Church? Our local church?
- Our words are powerful. Through the power of the Holy Spirit, they have the ability to bring life. How is God calling you to speak life into death with your words?
Loving God, we give thanks for the gift of Jesus Christ. By your Spirit, help us to discern where, when, and by whom our gifts are needed, and stir us to a wholehearted offering of those gifts in your name. Amen.