Lent 2021 | First United Methodist Church of Rockwall
Serving God, Saving the Planet: A Call to Care for Creation and Your Soul
Session 3— “Rest”
Review Session 2: Creation is God’s gift to us. We enter a fellowship of praise when we surround ourselves with “God-made” things in nature. Loving God and neighbor is not a suggestion or guideline, but a commandment. The parable of the “Good Samaritan”, Luke 10:29-37, highlights the three human responses to creation needs: not aware, aware but not acting, and aware, acting and continuing to act. We must recognize the feeling of discomfort when we begin to act upon, rather than ignore, the issues of creation. Our unrestrained consumption is unhealthy to all our relationships. We must ask the question, “Will this_____ (thing, purchase, action, word) bring me closer to God?”
Video (10 minutes) Rev. Joe Pool
Chapter 7: An Hour of Work, A Day of Rest
Chapter 8: Television: More Real than Real
Chapter 9: Steward Parents and Servant Children
Scripture References used in Video above: Genesis 2:1-3, Exodus 20:8-11, Matthew 11:28-30, Psalm 46:10a
Discussion Questions for Above:
- How have you experienced the “dignity of work”? p. 91
- When do you take/make Sabbath? How much of the day is devoted to God? Family? Sports? TV?
- How have you observed “addicted to busy”? In yourself or others?
- How do you interpret the Fourth Commandment to honor the Sabbath being between commandments toward God and commandments toward humanity?
- How hard is it to “be still”?
- What tradition would you like to add to your Sabbath day observance?
- How many televisions do you own? Where are they in your home? Ever have them all on with different programs?
- Who is most likely to turn on the television?
- How have you been influenced by media? Marketing? Advertising?
- How has “cross addiction” effected you? TV and cell phone? Cell phone and computer? News and Face Book?
- Is television a “mental junk food”? p.109
- How do you relate to humanity’s first job (work) being a gardener? How do you “garden” today?
- Name three activities that you would do instead of watching television that might bring you closer to God or help you better love your neighbor?
- How do you respond to “children come on loan to us from God?” p. 110
- How do you see children, divorce, and the environment related to one another?
- How easy is it to apologize to your children?
- Any comments on competitive sports in America? Is competitive sports the “golden calf” of the modern era?
- Which is easier, the “don’ts or the do’s” of modern parenting? p. 120
- What spiritual lessons do we teach our children when we ask them to recycle paper, take out the compost, and turn out the lights without reminders? p. 203
- What factors in the American fixation on team sports might keep us from God? p. 203
Closing Prayer Requests